Tuesday, February 21, 2012

One Week Old!

Finn, reclining on a paw...aaaaaaahh :)
Finn, nose first
Mr. Finn has made his first week birthday!  His weight this morning was 32 oz.  Oh my goodness that's big for a one week old baby.  Predicted weight would be 29 oz.  so he is a little ahead of the curve. We'll keep an eye on his weight gain.  Although it doesn't seem to impair him, as this morning he was up on all fours and trying to walk!  It's incredible how these little creatures mature so quickly.  We should expect his eyes to open the end of this week, and of course I can hardly wait.  While I know he is connected to his world via tactile, thermal and olfactory signals right now, as a human and so dependent on visual information, there seems to be something so special about being able to gaze into a little's tykes eyes.  Windows to the soul?  I don't know, but I can't wait!
Katrina & Finn

While Finn grows, I read.  One of my guides as been Canine Reproduction: The Breeder's Guide (3rd Ed.) by Phyllis A. Holst, MS, DVM (ISBN 157779-114-2).  While I absolutely don't consider myself a breeder, this book outlines the whole process from deciding if one should breed to reproductive problems.  Early on (a whole 2 weeks ago!)  I read through Puppy Intensive Care: A Breeder's Guide to Care of Newborn Puppies by Myra Savant-Harris, R.N. (ISBN 1-929242-24-7) and it's quite apparent that Myra is a nurse.  The book includes a DVD and great information especially regarding what one should have on hand if one find herself saving a premature, sick or orphaned pup (quite glad I didn't have to use much in this one).  Finally, I am scouring Another Piece of the Puzzle: Puppy Development edited by Pat Hastings & Erin Ann Rouse (ISBN: 978-0-9678414-2-7).  Absolutely fascinating!  I've read a lot of this material here and there before, but never with my own babe in my own dining room!  This book is a compilation of essays written by various folks on various components of pup development and how to do it "right!"  One interesting idea is to include a litter box in the pen area after pup is about 21 days old.  Peat (Finn's sire) was bred and raised to 9 weeks with Loretta Mueller of Full Tilt Border Collies and she used this method!  Peat was a snap to housebreak!  So, little Finn, you'll be having a box all your own! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment